False and incorrect information obtained from background screens can be very detrimental. It is imperative to know who is performing your screens and what the reputation of your consumer reporting agency (CRA) is. One of the best methods to learn more about any organization is to interview them. When in the process of interviewing a CRA, here are a few things to look for and ask about:
- What is your turn around time?
- How do you differentiate other individuals with the same name as the person I am screening?
- Do you have references from companies you have worked with?
- What makes you stand out from your competitors?
- Do you specialize in a specific industry?
- How long does the ordering process take?
- Do you offer online ordering?
- Will you perform a demo to walk me through the ordering process?
- Do you offer logins for everyone in my company performing background screens (if using an online ordering system)?
- Do you check for criminal records at the county, state and Federal levels?
- What level of customer service do you provide?
Make sure at the end of the interview process that you feel like you and your company will be taken care of with exceptional customer care, support and thorough screens.