Due to the recent passing of a bill by the New York City Council, most employers in New York City will no longer be able test job applicants for marijuana and THC use. This law impacts employers, employment agencies and labor organizations.
This will affect public and private employers in the city, including any company that has headquarters somewhere else. However, not every employee will be exempt from drug testing for marijuana. Some of the exemptions include:
- Police or peace officers
- Someone requiring security clearance
- Employees operating heavy machinery
- Employees operating a motorized vehicle
- Emergency responders
- Any position that would potentially impact the health or safety of employees or members of the public
- Any employee supervising or caring for children, medical patients, or the vulnerable population
This new law will not impact the Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations, New York State or New York City Department of Transportation regulations, or employees working from grants or financial assistance from the federal government.
If you have any questions, contact your Essential Screens representative.